Monday, June 1, 2009

In The Blink of an Eye

Today as I saw my new baby nephew Elijah David at two hours old I began to think about how fragile life really is. With the blink of an eye this little 7lb 12oz guy came into the world and with another blink of an eye he's gonna be in cap and gown getting ready to go off to college. It seems like just yesterday me, Nick, and Brooke were all in elementary school riding over to bike town to go and test out the new jumps. Then in the blink of an eye I was 13 playing home run derby with Nick, and talking to Brooke about my new crush. Life comes and goes so fast that if we don't take the time to smell the roses and live our life according to God's word, we may lose our chance. We are only given one life and it is up to us how we live it. God gave us the bittersweet gift of freewill, but just because we have freedom of choice does not mean we have immunity from consequences. (profound I know)
The other day I found out that a couple guys I knew back in middle school died in a freak car accident. As tragic as this was it really got me thinking about legacy. If I were to die tomorrow, how would people remember me...would they remember me as the guy who could turn anything into a competition, and would break things when he would lose at ping pong...would they remember me as funny, athletic, inappropriate, scholastic, driven, outgoing, shy, competitive, stubborn.........
the truth is, everyday we are building our legacy that is going to far outlive our very temporary lives, and the moment we make our life about us and not about the one who gave us our life, is when we begin to lose our vision. Being a Christ follower really only entails giving your life daily to Him, so that you can be a vessel in carrying out His perfect will......and it starts on your knees.
James 4:14 How do you know what your life will be like
tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it's here a little while, then it's
gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment